Something I thought about:
- I was unpacking my library and seeing books from very different stages in my life. I haven’t seen a majority of these books in over a decade, and I want to reread many of them now and see what has changed for me as as reader. Part of the fun of unpacking was finding texts from various Master’s degrees, as well — the poetry section, the media arts and sciences section, etc. I have books from high school and college and found journals starting from senior year of college, as well.
Something I did:
- Set up my study. This was huge. My entire library is all in one place for the first time in over a decade, and this is the first time I’ve had my own space to work in just as long. I am so happy to be surrounded by my books in a room of my own.
- Started to plan some in-class workshops with a colleague
- Went to book group (remotely)
- Went to another neighborhood mums’ night
- Took a group of students to the Boston Book Festival
Something I read:
- I laughed so hard at this newsletter by Summer Brennan because I can absolutely picture myself doing this. In fact, just the other day I was verifying that we do, in fact, have bleach for cleaning reasons, and A followed up with, “Yes, we have bleach. Also vinegar because I decided to go a different route with the carpets before we took them out.” The bottles are side-by-side in the laundry room. Perhaps I should separate them…
You know that feeling when you’re trying to get your life together but instead you end up manufacturing a fatally poisonous gas?
- I listened to the latest Smart Bitches podcast interview with Chuck Tingle. I was interested in an observation Chuck Tingle made: that genre fiction elicits physical responses such as arousal (romance), laughter (comedy), or fear (horror). He posited that this is one of the reasons that genre fiction is derided: because it’s physical rather than intellectual. I’m not sure where fantasy and science fiction fit into this, but it’s interesting and I’m thinking about it.
- Deb’s book comes out next week! Here’s a really lovely podcast interview with her.